By Sara Ahbel-Rappe,Rachana Kamtekar
- Discusses the lifetime of Socrates and key philosophical doctrines linked to him
- Covers the entire variety of Socratic stories from the traditional global to modern eu philosophy
- Examines Socrates’ position within the higher philosophical traditions of the Hellenistic international, the Roman Empire, the Arabic global, the Renaissance, and modern Europe
- Addresses interdisciplinary topics akin to Socrates and Nietzsche, Socrates and psychoanalysis, and representations of Socrates in art
- Helps readers to appreciate the which means and importance of Socrates around the ages
Read Online or Download A Companion to Socrates (Blackwell Companions to Philosophy) PDF
Best greek & roman philosophy books
The 3rd and fourth books of Cicero's Tusculan Disputations take care of the character and administration of human emotion: first grief, then the feelings commonly. In full of life and available sort, Cicero offers the insights of Greek philosophers at the topic, reporting the perspectives of Epicureans and Peripatetics and giving an in depth account of the Stoic place, which he himself favors for its shut reasoning and ethical earnestness.
Examines the impact of Aristotle and Kant at the nineteenth-century social thought of Marx, Durkheim, and Weber. The classical origins of nineteenth-century social concept are illuminated during this sequel to the award-winning Classical Horizons: The Origins of Sociology in old Greece. George E. McCarthy stresses the significance of Aristotle and Kant within the construction of a brand new kind of social technology within the 19th century that represented a serious response to Enlightenment rationality and glossy liberalism.
Written by means of Derrida students, philosophers, and classicists, Derrida and Antiquity analyses a discussion with the traditional international within the paintings of 1 of the best philosophers of the 20 th century. via an research of Derrida's paintings it explores the connection among sleek philosophy and Plato, the function historic options of democracy have performed in sleek political debates, and where of antiquity in modern discussions approximately Europe, in addition to investigating the impression that deconstruction has had at the research of classical literature, old philosophy, and early faith.
Este ameno diálogo, repleto de anécdotas y referencias a su tiempo, constituye una preciosa fuente de información sobre los angeles literatura y las costumbres de los angeles Antigüedad griega. El público culto grecolatino de l. a. época del Imperio deseaba ampliar su erudición en diversos ámbitos, mediante obras teóricas o literarias.
- Hesiods >Erga<: Aspekte ihrer geistigen Physiognomie (Beiträge zur Altertumskunde) (German Edition)
- Lessons from the Past: The Moral Use of History in Fourth-Century Prose
- Porphyry's "Homeric Questions" on the "Iliad": Text, Translation, Commentary (Texte und Kommentare)
- The Emerging Good in Plato's Philebus (Rereading Ancient Philosophy)
Extra resources for A Companion to Socrates (Blackwell Companions to Philosophy)
A Companion to Socrates (Blackwell Companions to Philosophy) by Sara Ahbel-Rappe,Rachana Kamtekar